Acer® to ensure hitch-free Olympics
We live in an imperfect world. As the saying goes, there’s always some other person who gets the credit. And it stands to reason that next year’s London Olympics will be no different! While all the athletes will be cornering the glory, in a secret location somewhere in London, thousands of people will be working round-the-clock to make sure the Olympics pass off without a hitch. Welcome to Acer’s test lab for next summer’s London Olympics! The Games will no doubt proceed in a blaze of glory thanks to the thousands of IT technicians and other staff members, who are giving finishing touches to the technology package that will serve as the nerve center for the mega event.
Michael Trainor, who is overseeing the project on behalf of Acer computers, said that they had to deliver a full technology package for the Games, which included delivering hardware and services. "We will be monitoring servers, managing technical issues and managing our technology staff,” he added.
Acer will help the London Organising Committee of the Games (LOCOG) next summer during the Olympics. LOCOG is responsible for handling the logistics for the 2012 Olympics. Acer is also responsible for providing touchscreens so people can easily know about the schedule of events slated for the Games. More than 300 Acer staff members would be employed full-time to make sure that all the events proceed smoothly during the Games. Acer will have to support 26 Olympic events in both male and female categories spread across the length and breadth of the U.K. Here is what Acer will deliver: 10,000 desktop computers, 900 servers, and 2,000 notebook computers for managing the technical aspect of the Games. Other technology partners for the Games include Atos, Cisco, Samsung, BT, Omega, and more.
Acer will have to provide senior desktop experts at various venues round-the-clock in case of any breakdown and to deal quickly with any issue. Mr. Trainor feels that right people at the right time is crucial for the Games’ well being. With 95 % of the work already completed, Acer is awaiting orders from LOCOG for the remaining 5 %, which, for the PC giant, would wrap up a summer of content!